We aim to improve the lives of disabled Honduran children by sharing Canadian resources and expertise with local professionals on the ground in Honduras.
- ACTION AND EFFICIENCY: 100% of the funds we raise go to medication and supplies for the children we help. We are about action, not administration.
- COMPREHENSIVE CARE: Our multidisciplinary team provides comprehensive care for the whole child.
- CONTINUITY: Our ongoing relationship with the town of Gracias, Lempira year after year facilitates understanding, continuity and connections with local health care professionals that allow us to plan and carry out our work efficiently.
- HELPING THE VULNERABLE: We serve especially underserved children: children with developmental disabilities and children in remote areas without access to regular health care.
- LOCAL PARTNERSHIPS: We have relationships with local community members to create affordable, locally resourced adaptive equipment to support children with disabilities in their environment and help stimulate local economic opportunities.
- SUSTAINABILITY AND ENDURING EFFECTS: Our collaboration with local health care professionals enhances skills and knowledge that will help them better serve the community in the future.
Canada-Honduras Children's Health Initiative (CHCHI) started to grow after Dr. Fabian Gorodzinsky, a London, Ontario pediatrician, volunteered to go to Honduras in 1998. That year, he partnered with many medical volunteers to help provide desperately needed health care following the devastation of Hurricane Mitch. Since then, he and a group of dedicated volunteers (many from London) have returned to Honduras annually to provide medical care to those in need. Honduras remains one of the poorest countries in the Western Hemisphere, and the health care system is particularly underfunded.
"Nos sentimos muy honrados en saber que nuestros niños cuentan con su apoyo. Muchas gracias a todos ustedes, no saben la alegria que traen a todos estas familias."
— Rafael Funes Quijada, Presidente Crile, Gracias, Lempira, facebook.com/fundacioncrile
Rafael is the President of the rehabilitation centre in Gracias, Honduras (Centro Rehabilitación Integral Lempira). CHCHI partners with Rafael to provide additional care and resources for children with disability in Honduras. He and a team of volunteers work with us to identify members of the community and need and orchestrate their care over the long term. Together, we are able to change the lives of children with disabilities, including cerebral palsy and spina bifida, and help them live their best lives.
children treated directly during each visit
of children impacted by the treatment, training, and resources we supply
percent of donations fund treatment and supplies for treatment
Want to get involved or get more information? Donate using the link below, or email us at email@example.com.